Tuesday, September 02, 2014

Malpua (sweet bengali pancakes)

Here comes another authentic traditional Bengali Sweet- "MALPUA". They are sweet Indian-style pancakes without eggs. I remember eating them as I grew up. It was very popular in the 80's. Now that I stay far away from my birthplace (Kolkata) I really miss the taste of those home-made pancakes. But a few weeks back, I came across the recipe for this dessert and it made me so nostalgic. It really inspired me and I decided to give it a try!
This post is for the future generation. So that they remember there were desserts like this. My daughter can open this post and see it anytime in the future, when she remembers her origins. Its a favorite of mine. Here is the recipe:-

Ingredients:

  • 1/2cup -White flour (maida/all purpose flour)
  • Rice dust -4tsp
  • Semolina (suji) -1 cup
  • Full cream milk -1 cup
  • Sugar -2 cups
  • Cardamom powder 1tsp
  • Fennel seeds (saunf)1tsp
  • Baking powder 1/4th tsp
  • CAshew nuts -crushed
  • Ghee (clarified butter)- 1tsp

Procedure:

First mix the semolina (suji), ricedust, white flour, ghee & sugar with the full cream milk and make the batter. 
The consistency of the batter should not be very thin.
Cover it and keep it aside for an hour. Then add the saunf (fennel seeds), cashew nuts, cardamom dust and , baking soda
Whip it really well and make sure that you mix everything properly.


Take a non-stick frying pan.
Heat little oil and pour 1 big spoonful of batter on the pan and spread it evenly like a pancake.
Fry it on both the sides. After frying them, plate them up and pour sugar syrup on them.
It's done!
~ENJOY~

You can also make a soggy version by soaking them in sugar syrup or dipping them in syrup and removing them after some time.
In my house we prefer without sugar syrup .
Enjoy Janmashtami with yummy Malpua. ,🙏


No comments:

Post a Comment